Sunday 23 January 2011

update

Now that I have the two people I want to take forward the ideas for Will Smith and Pharrell Williams I can look into it further and do some research and background information on them and get a better idea of what I could use within the letters to represent them.


Looking at Ideas for Pharrell there are a few things that come to my head and the reason I choose him as one of the people who's achievements I admire was because he has tried out a lot of different things from music to fashion and designing. 
The things that I consider to be representative of him are logos from his clothing labels, his record label and group name, famous hand sign for 'Star Trak' and the influence he takes from games and Star Trek using symbols such as the characters from games and having them made into jewellery.
These are some of the ideas I came up with after choosing the fonts






Will Smith



    
Once I had created a few quick ideas by hand I used Illustrator to recreate a similar design idea, using the same font and the majority of the image, some that I repositioned or edited.
I layered all the images in a rough position about the letter shapes..


I then brought the letter to the front of the image after I had created an outline for it. 
Next I selected all the images and the letter then using object >clipping mask, I created a mask, meaning that where the sections of the images underlaid the letter they would remain visible and the overlapping parts would be hidden.
I then made a few adjustments to some areas changing black and white around, then added a black background which worked better as it did when I drew them by hand.

Wednesday 19th, JANUARY, 2011

 InDesign
Notes:
The program uses mm to measure.
Create a new document, select the intent, web, print etc. chose facing pages.
To add an image you can chose the size before you add it by drawing an image box, the image can be moved and resized within the box.
To make sure the images show at their best you can change the quality from view > display performance > high quality display.
The direct selection toll [ second arrow on tool bar] selects content.
Rulers can be used for measurements and accuracy by dragging them in from the top or left of the document.


The task
To create an album cover from a set of instructions
creating a new document measuring 120 by 120mm with 2mm margins
go to Flickr, click on photos from the last seven days and use the third image on the page.
then using an image box place the image in the document.
To get the 'band name' for the album cover go to wikipedia and select 'random article' from the bar on the left the title of the article will be the band name.
lastly to get the name of the album go to quotationspage.com select random quotes, go to the bottom of the page and taking the last four or five words from the last quotation they will become the album name.


I did this task several times and these are the results that I got. I enjoyed doing the task and I think it was a good way of getting used to the basics of the program.


To print the setup can be changed to centred to get a better layout and marks and bleeds can be chosen.







No comments:

Post a Comment