Wednesday 10 November 2010

Illustrator

Today we had a quick introduction to Adobe Illustrator 
Bitmap vs Vector
Bitmap is photographic and made up of pixels, this is what Photoshop uses where as Illustrator uses vector which has a path that describes the shape, this means that vectors can be enlarged without distortion where as bitmap images will become sharper when made smaller but as soon as they are enlarged slightly they become very pixelated. 
The task we were given was to replicate the 'Ying Yang' sign and this was the result that I got..


I used six circles to create this image cut one in half and used different fills to get the right sections.
Some quick tools I noted down
-View > Turn on rulers
-View > Outline shows shapes
-holding space bar enables you to move around while using a tool
-create a line 'part' you can type along the path to that shape.

We were then left to experiment with some of the tools and as were looking at negative space I put together a really quick design using text, image and negative space.
Links
File Formats BMP GIF JPG PNG

I created Vectors before but using Photoshop, I'd like to be able to use illustrator to create some vector drawings mainly because of the flexibility with re-sizing the image. Where as with the vectors I have made so far the maximum size they can be is the size that I drew them.



No comments:

Post a Comment